Guide to Buying A Better Bathroom
Buying and designing a new bathroom can seem like a daunting task, but if you have done a small bit of preparation and research beforehand, it can be a fun and exciting process.
TileStyle’s Bathroom Sales Manager, Tony Murphy, has been described in the Irish Times as having “an encyclopedic knowledge of bathrooms“ by Interior Journalist, Isabel Morton. Here’s his guide of simple steps to follow before shopping for a new bathroom.
This guide focuses on what preparation and research you should
Step 1 – Know Your Dimensions
Never underestimate the power of dimensions! Knowing the dimensions of your bathroom is key when planning the redesign. Whether it’s a large family bathroom or a compact ensuite, they are crucial for deciding how things will ultimately look and fit. Drawings can be a really great help too as they give the bathroom expert a visual clue as to what they’re dealing with. They don’t even have to be fancy, rough will do (See example of rough customer sketch)
Key dimensions to note:
- Floor dimensions
- Window dimensions (if a window is present)
- Whether the door opens inwards or outwards
- Shower and/or bath dimensions
Step 2 – Things to consider for the bathroom design
Who is going to use this bathroom? How many people will be using this bathroom? Are there both adults and children using this bathroom? It’s important to consider how many people will be using this bathroom on a daily basis. For example, is this a family bathroom that will be used by both adults and children? Do you need a bath to bathe the kids? How much storage will you need? There’s nothing worse than lots of products & toiletries making your lovely new bathroom look untidy and cluttered and we have a huge range of bathroom storage options available to alleviate this, all too often, overlooked problem.
Step 3 – What style of bathroom do you want, traditional or modern?
Deciding on the style of your bathroom will be one of the main influences in the overall design. Ask yourself, will this bathroom fit in with the design of the rest of your home whether it be traditional or modern? Or, do you want to make a bold statement with this bathroom and have it stand out from the rest of the home?
What features do you want to include?
Think about what features you would like to include such as:
- Bath or Shower? Do you want a seperate bath and shower, just a shower, or the two combined? Maybe you are considering a wet room?
- What kind of toilet? Back to wall or wall mounted for space saving and easy cleaning? See toilets styles here >https://tilestyle.ie/toilets/
- Storage? Keep those unsightly toiletries stored away to keep your bathroom looking as good as new for a long time to come.
- What type of lighting? Soft, warm lighting for a more relaxing atmosphere or bright, cool lighting for things like applying make-up? Do you want recessed lights in the ceiling (spotlights) or maybe you would prefer art deco mirror mounted light fittings? Below is just a taste of what we have to offer.
Oh, and don’t forget about heating!
What type of heating do you currently have in the bathroom? Underfloor heating, traditional radiators, heated towel rails or fan heaters? We have all of these options available so can help you choose the most efficient heating option for your bathroom.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to designing a new bathroom, but you need to consider the options to suit you. Our expert bathroom consultants here at TileStyle would be more than happy to help you make the right choice for you and your family.